Monday, June 28, 2010

Folky Sounds | Anais Mitchell



This past weekend I took off from the bustling city for a two full days on the Oregon coast. The weekend was full of intense sun, friends both old and new, crabbing, and a rope swing injury. A good friend is leaving the country for an entire year as a Watson Fellow so the party was a conglomeration of all his friends from his life. Although it is always heart-warming to spend time with old college friends, I love the types of get togethers that guarantee meeting new people.

I caught a ride from Portland with a girl that was also headed to the coast, whom I had not met until the drive. She was playing the most perfect music for the forest-laden drive. One artist in particular caught my ear and once the mixtape moved on to some old Dolly Parton, I had to inquire. Turns out the lovely voice belonged to Anais Mitchell. Signed to Righteous Babe Records, hailing from Vermont, and author of Hadestown - an epic folk opera about the Orpheus myth. As soon as I got back to civilization I immediately opened up grooveshark and listened and listened and listened.

Check out her official website, and this live video of her performing "O My Star" at Portland's The Woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment