Thursday, July 15, 2010

His motor's slow paced | Vernon, Florida

Life has been pretty hectic around these parts with the ongoing job hunt, internship, and the barely profitable retail job. Oh the joys of post-college meanderings. I must say, working around documentaries for my intern position with NW Documentary has exposed me to all sorts of hilarious characters both on and off film. Today involved a brave journey into the downtown Portland FedEx Office. Someone outta make a film about the customers that frequent that place, I was thoroughly entertained throughout the visit.

I thought I would share a clip from my all-time favorite - Errol Morris' Vernon, Florida. Made in 1982, his film has been christened the documentary that spawned all mockumentaries. These people are (or were) real. Even better, he filmed them by default because his initial subjects - people who severe their own limbs for insurance fraud - threatened to kill him. I love this old man kicking his turtle (which is apparently not a turtle).

No comments:

Post a Comment